Other than a constant stream of caffeine, I find music very motivating when I’m “doing science” and I know many of you do too (like Miriam Goldstein).
“When you’re by yourself in the lab late at night, sometimes you just need to shake your booty. This list is made for playing loud, dancing around, and singing along – so make sure you’re alone first!” -Miriam’s description of her “Lab Booty” Mix that she kindly sent my way via Spotify.
Whether it be cleaning abalone tanks, taking tail clips from tadpoles, doing histological sampling, or drawing various invertebrates I find I am more productive and happy when I have some tunage. Especially if I get the lab to myself and can sing along. Many late night hours in the lab at Friday Harbor with my friend @Naomi Lewandowski led to constant blasting of 90s, Britney, Lady Gaga and The Sounds, which has influenced my song selection below. Here are my top jams for making myself feel like a badass lady scientist:
2. What Doesn’t Kill You (Stronger) – Kelly Clarkson
4. Gold Guns Girls - Metric
5. Queen of Apology – The Sounds
6. Electric Chapel – Lady Gaga
7. Big in Japan - Martin Solveig & Dragonette
8. Undone (The Sweater Song) – Weezer
9. Love Liquid Wrap Around – Super Deluxe
10. Never There – Cake
11. Mean – Taylor Swift
12. Bottle It Up – Sara Bareilles
13. I Need a Dollar – Aloe Blacc
14. Like That – Memphis Bleek
15. All the Small Things – Blink 182
Apparently I am an angry feminist with an inner gangster who is very nostalgic for the 90s. My go to for guilty pleasure songs.
I made a playlist on Spotify called Science Jams! Spotify didn’t have Gold Guns Girls or Love Liquid Wrap Around so I put different songs from the same bands.
What do you listen to when your doing #FridayNightScience alone in the lab? New hash tag #sciencejams?